Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Wasting time

You know, I was thinking (yes I do think) about how this time of year can be great for most or horrid for some. Great for those who will be able to spend the holidays with loved they haven't seen all year. Or maybe even great because you finally get that day or two off that you have been needing since the holiday rush started. Whatever the reason, its great for those people.
But the ones who, I don't know, may have recently lost a loved one. Or have bad memories of Christmas. Or have no other reason than that you just hate the commercialization of the holiday. Such a bad, bad day for you.
For me...I can't really say that I hate it or love it. I guess I'm somewhere in between. Honestly, I haven't really celebrated Christmas since my aunt died. Not like I used to at least. She was my closest relative and the one who took me in after my parents threw me out. She really loved the day. We would spend hours decorating the house, inside and out. Complete with eggnog and cookies and Christmas music blaring throughout the house. She really knew the meaning of Christmas and she did her best to spread the word to everyone she could. I once asked her why she loved the holiday so much and she told me that it was because, "Christmas is the one day out of the entire year that most people show each other how much they care. Even if its a stranger in the street. Everyone seems to have a little bit more compassion. Not to mention, its a great day to just hang out with friends and get drunk."
She was funny like that. And I miss her so much sometimes. And even though she isn't with us any longer, I still celebrate the day. I spend the day with my friends that I consider my family. I show a little extra compassion to strangers and get drunk with my friends. And at the end of the day, I raise my glass to her and thank her for all the great Christmas days we spent together.

No comments: